Business Week: The Troubling Dean to Professor RatioFiled under: Archives;
By John Hechinger
November 21, 2012
J. Paul Robinson, chairman of the Purdue University faculty senate, walks the halls of a 10-story tower, pointing out a row of offices for administrators. “I have no idea what these people do,” says the biomedical engineering professor. Purdue has a $313,000-a-year acting provost and six vice and associate vice provosts, including a $198,000-a-year chief diversity officer. Among its 16 deans and 11 vice presidents are a $253,000 marketing officer and a $433,000 business school chief. The average full professor at the public university in West Lafayette, Ind., makes $125,000.
The number of Purdue administrators has jumped 54 percent in the past decade—almost eight times the growth rate of tenured and tenure-track faculty. “We’re here to deliver a high-quality education at as low a price as possible,” says Robinson. “Why is it that we can’t find any money for more faculty, but there seems to be an almost unlimited budget for administrators?”
Purdue is among the U.S. colleges layering up at the top at a time when budgets are tight, students are amassing record debt, and tuition is skyrocketing. U.S. Department of Education data show that Purdue is typical: At universities nationwide, employment of administrators jumped 60 percent from 1993 to 2009, 10 times the growth rate for tenured faculty. “Administrative bloat is clearly contributing to the overall cost of higher education,” says Jay Greene, an education professor at the University of Arkansas. In a 2010 study, Greene found that from 1993 to 2007, spending on administration rose almost twice as fast as funding for research and teaching at 198 leading U.S. universities.
Read more at businessweek.com
Membership Meeting and Election:
- Friday Mar 27, 11:30 - 1:30 pm - Majestic Palm Room, Student Activity Center
- Mar. 31st (Tuesday) at 9:30 am - Provost Conference Room.
Executive Committee Meetings:
- Friday Feb 20, 12 - 2 pm - BU207
- Friday Mar 20, 12 - 2 pm (if needed) - BU207
- Friday Apr 24, 12 - 2 pm - BU207
Become a Member
Message from the President
- Today's news -- February 25, 2015 February 25, 2015
- Today's news -- February 24, 2015 February 24, 2015
- Today's news -- February 23, 2015 February 23, 2015
- Today's news -- February 20, 2015 February 20, 2015
- Today's news -- February 19, 2015 February 19, 2015
- Today's news -- February 18, 2015 February 18, 2015