GEO withdraws gift, naming rights for FAU stadiumFiled under: Archives;
April 1, 2013|By Scott Travis, Sun Sentinel
The deal, which critics dubbed “Owlkatraz,” had been subject to numerous protests from student and outside civil rights groups since it was announced Feb. 19.
“What was originally intended as a gesture of GEO’s goodwill…has surprisingly evolved into an ongoing distraction to both of our organizations,” said George Zoley, chairman of the GEO group and a former chairman of the FAU Board of Trustees.
GEO Group has faced allegations of poor treatment of inmates and employees.
The gift was a 12-year commitment with annual payments of $500,000. GEO said that as “a symbol of our continuing admiration for FAU,” it will still donate $500,000 toward this year’s academic scholarship program.
email@example.com or 561-243-6637 or Twitter smtravis
Membership Meeting and Election:
- Friday Mar 27, 11:30 - 1:30 pm - Majestic Palm Room, Student Activity Center
- Mar. 31st (Tuesday) at 9:30 am - Provost Conference Room.
Executive Committee Meetings:
- Friday Feb 20, 12 - 2 pm - BU207
- Friday Mar 20, 12 - 2 pm (if needed) - BU207
- Friday Apr 24, 12 - 2 pm - BU207